Anchor is a small but excited and growing community of normal people who have been captured by the Hope of the Gospel and are trying our best to seek after God, follow Jesus, and figure out how to live in this world. Our goal is to build a community of Faithful, Generous, Compassionate followers of Jesus who glorify God through worship, grow as disciples, and who go into our neighborhoods, schools, workplaces and towns to serve the people God loves and tell the story of His Hope.
- Anchor Covenant Church grew from years of early morning summer worship services at Covenant Harbor Bible Camp. In 2001, the group met regularly for Bible study and discussion about taking the next step and starting a church. In 2002 the group launched year-round Sunday worship, meeting at Woods School in Lake Geneva, with summer worship still held in the Boathouse at camp.With the help of our denomination, the Evangelical Covenant Church, planting pastor Ryan Eikenbary-Barber was called to Anchor in March 2003. In September 2003, the church moved Sunday morning worshipt to the YMCA Lake Geneva. In June 2004 Anchor was welcomed as a member church in the Evangelical Covenant.In 2009, sensing God’s call to new ministry opportunities, Pastor Ryan moved on to a new position and Anchor moved from the YMCA to renting space for evening services at the Lake Geneva United Church of Christ. The year-long interim, as Anchor searched for its next pastor, was a time of challenge and growth: difficult but exciting. In August of 2010 Pastor Bruce Bruns joined the church as its next- and current- lead pastor.In April 2013 we purchased our building, 1229 Park Row in Lake Geneva, and on January 3, 2014, Anchor completed the purchase and we moved in to our first permanent home. In October of 2014, by the grace of God and the generosity of the people of Anchor, we were able to burn our mortgage, enabling us to focus our resources on ministryToday Anchor Covenant Church is a growing congregation with an exciting children’s ministry, a thriving student ministry, spiritual formation opportunities for all ages, small groups for adults, and people committed to caring for the broken, lost, needy and hurting in our neighborhood, community, and world.
We meet for weekly worship at 10:30 am Sundays at 1229 Park Row in Lake Geneva. Worship is informal without being overly casual, music is mostly contemporary without losing sight of our rich heritage. All are welcome regardless of political opinions or doctrinal stances. We’d love to have you here!
Anchor Covenant is part of a larger family of churches called the Evangelical Covenant Church. If you’ve never heard of the Covenant, don’t worry, not many people have. The Covenant is a relatively small denomination- about 850 churches and 120,000 people.
The Covenant describes itself this way:
Set in motion in 1885 by Swedish immigrants, today we are a growing, multiethnic, intergenerational mosaic of churches with ministry partnerships in nearly forty countries. We join efforts in the hope of seeing even more people engage in a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ, across more populations, in a more caring and just world.
The Evangelical Covenant Church is a rapidly growing multiethnic denomination in the United States and Canada with ministries on five continents of the world. Founded in 1885 by Swedish immigrants, the ECC values the Bible as the word of God, the gift of God’s grace and ever-deepening spiritual life that comes through a faith with Jesus Christ, the importance of extending God’s love and compassion to a hurting world, and the strength that comes from unity within diversity.
The Evangelical Covenant Church is:
- Evangelical, but not exclusive
- Biblical, but not doctrinaire
- Traditional, but not rigid
- Congregational, but not independent